1. Diabetes and Nutrition Advocacy and Study Council
This leads the lay education for diabetes and nutrition. This Council aims to reach the Filipinos even in the far flung areas and help them understand the basic problem of diabetes – its prevention as well as its treatment. As such, this group has the following projects:
a. Insulin for Life
- As part of the PSEDM advocacies and with the help of the support from some companies, the Diabetes and Nutrition Advocacy and Study Council has a program that gives out free insulin to diabetes patients who are financially challenged in procuring their medication. Since lifestyle modification plays a significant role in the management of diabetes, these also form part of the program of the Council.
b. Apat Dapat
- On Nov 14, 2018, the group launched the “APAT DAPAT” slogan for diabetes. “Apat Dapat” is the campaign reminding Filipinos that for treatment of diabetes to succeed, 4 elements have to be met: (1) Ehersisyo (Exercise), (2) Pagkain (Proper diet), (3) Gamot (regular intake of antidiabetes medications/insulin), and (4) Doktor (regular consultations with expert physicians).
c. Galaw Pilipinas!
- Every year, the Diabetes Awareness Week is being celebrated on the 3rd week of July. Galaw Pilipinas! has been the tagline of this advocacy group for the Diabetes Awareness Week celebration and this intends to promote regular physical activities/exercises for enhancement of wellness and health.
2. Thyroid Advocacy and Study Council
Goiter and thyroid cancer are the main focus of this Council. It is the Council’s purpose to promulgate the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of the mentioned thyroid conditions. It works closely with the Thyroid Working Group that is part of the Department of Health’s advocacy.
Every year, the PSEDM, headed by the Thyroid Advocacy and Study Council, celebrates the Thyroid Awareness Week (4th Week of January), and the Thyroid Cancer Awareness Summit (September).
3. Lipids, Obesity, and Nutrition Advocacy and Study Council
This Group is in charge of the programs for awareness about obesity, the implication and impact of having high cholesterol, and the important role that exercise plays in the control of obesity and dyslipidemia. This group aims to educate the lay on how to recognize obesity and it also advocates how to embark on healthy nutrition towards proper weight management.
4. Bone Health and Osteoporosis Advocacy and Study Council
This Council’s primary charge is the advocacy on osteoporosis recognition and management. Proper use of calcium supplementation, nutrition and exercise in handling osteoporosis and other bone conditions are also in the objectives of this group.
This Group is the prime mover in the celebration of the World Osteoporosis Day in our country. This celebration is held in November of each year.
5. Pituitary and Adrenal Advocacy and Study Council
This Council promulgates the conscientious use of steroids, excessive intake of which leads to Cushings syndrome. As steroids have many beneficial uses, this council educates on proper dosing, timing, and the duration of steroid intake.
Other disorders of the pituitary and adrenals are the other issues being handled by this Council.
6. Reproductive/PCOS Advocacy and Study Council
Working hand in hand with the reproductive specialists in the country, this Council aims to educate and to promote programs about polycystic ovarian syndrome, its recognition, management, and its impact on the metabolic profile of the individual.